Banksia Park Cottages goes Carbon Neutral
Becoming Carbon Neutral
Experts tell us Global Warming is a reality and Greenhouse gas emissions are a contributing factor. Here at Banksia Park, in line with our Kangaroo Valley Tourist Association, we participate in the 'Becoming Carbon Neutral' program in order to reduce and offset our greenhouse gas emissions. Reduce Reuse Recycle
Initiatives we have adopted:
- Our solar panels collect 2.5 Kw of Photovoltaic energy which is fed back onto the grid
- We have changed light bulbs to energy efficient light globes
- Our cottages:
- use gas for internal and instant hot water heating – we only heat water as it is needed
- are fully insulated
- have been constructed with complete surround verandahs to provide shade in summer and allow the sunshine in for winter
- have extensive door and window openings to allow maximum air thru-flow
- We recycle extensively and encourage our guests to separate their rubbish and use the recycle bins
- Our Billabong pool and spa is solar heated.
- Paul's folly – a continuously cycling waterfall in front of the house for the breeze to blow through and cool us all down naturally is near completion
- We burn only wood from fallen or dead trees on our property
- We have also applied to be audited by the Department of Environment and Climate Change so that we can best achieve an ongoing Action Plan to fight climate change
Our guests are encouraged to
- Turn off lights and heating not required
- Recycle all cans, bottles, paper etc
- Turn off power at the wall, not just at the appliance
- Recycle all food scraps to our pets
We are happy to chat to you about Carbon neutral, we are only learning ourselves, but are excited at being able to make a difference!!
Please ask to take home a KVTA fridge magnet (complimentary) encouraging the Reduce Reuse Recycle approach.